Sunday, August 16, 2009

Organizing your coupons

There are several ways to organize your coupons and most people swear by whatever method they choose but I think each type of organizing has it's advantages and disadvantages.
1- The coupon file this can be an inexpensive organizer with 7 pockets up to an 15 pocket folder and they also come in various sizes. Most cost between $1 and $5. I have a few organizers so I not only have more pockets but I also don't have to take restaurant coupons to the grocery store. The major advantage to this system is it is small and potable so you are more likely to carry your coupons with you all the time. I divide my pockets by aisles/sections found in most stores, ie frozen foods, baking, refrigerated etc. Some people divide by expiration date and yet others divide alphabetically. I would look at how you shop and what you think would work best for you.
I also have another organizer for restaurant coupons, specific non food stores ie Babies R Us and also receipts. I have 3 receipts pockets 1 to be filed , 1 for rebates and 1 for returns. I only clear this out when it gets really full since I can buy something and 2 weeks later need to return it. I also have Buy one get one and free coupons for fast food restaurants in a free pocket so if I am tight on money and my kids are hungry I have a few options.
2- Binders are the other organizing tool. People will buy a large binder and page protectors both full page and card sized to organize their coupons you can put printout coupons and multiple coupons per page in the full page and cut out as needed at the store and the rest put in card slots putting the one closest to expiration on top. You can then also sort by aisle, or alphabetically. The advantage for this is less cutting time.

No matter how you organize it won't be worth your time if you don't use coupons or if you don't get the most from them. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment