Tuesday, February 23, 2010

cleaning tips around the house

ok so how much do you spend every year on cleaners? I used to spend about $300 or more between toilet bowl cleaner, bathroom cleaner,kitchen cleaner, etc etc so I realized how much I was wasting and simplified. So now I have bleach, vinegar, baking soda, and water.

Laundry-I use vinegar to deodorize clothing so that cuts how much detergent I use. I also put baking soda in the pretreat thing because besides eliminating odor it traps colors and it makes your detergent work better by naturally softening the water.

Windows- ok so when I had kids I started cleaning the back door more because the dog always looks out and gets nastiness on the window so I get a couple of pieces of newspaper and I use vinegar to clean the window. If it is really bad I make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub that off with a sponge, then clean with vinegar.

Drains- I pour boiling water down the drain 2-3 c then baking soda then vinegar. The vinegar and baking soda make a volcano looking concoction (with no fumes) and clean the drain. I do this 1-2x a month in the kitchen and 3-4x a year in the bathroom.

Toilet-sprinkle baking soda in the toilet brush then splash with vinegar and try to leave overnight or longer to also deodorize.

Kitchen- no matter what everyone says I still use bleach in the kitchen I know vinegar works well but I am just used to bleach. I never use full strength bleach though. I take a simple small spray bottle and put 2-3 tsp of bleach and fill with water. This lasts the day and at night I rinse the kitchen sinks out and spray them with the bleach. This mixture also works well on toys to sanitize them. Bleach actually works better diluted than full strength. Label the bottle well though. I clean the fridge out once a week and do a quick wipe of the shelves just in case anything nasty was dripped from thawing meat etc. that was missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment